Monday, August 16, 2010

Thinking about getting a new car

I currently drive a 1996 Chevy Caprice that I bought used in 96 w/ 20k miles on it.  It's approaching 180k and I'm trying to figure out what to get.  I also want to get an RV, and doing so both expands and restricts the daily driver I buy.  If I don't get RV, it has to have a 2000 pound towing capacity; if I do get one, it has to be able to be flat-towed. 

Some I've looked at that are possibilities:
 
Subaru Forester and Outback; both have the towing I need and, with sticks can be flat-towed. Pluses, AWD, comfy, mileage; Minus, stick.
Ford Escape;has the towing capacity and can be flat-towed with the automatic (as long as you stop and run it for 5 minutes every 6 hours. Pluses, AWD, comfy, available hybrid: Minus, it's a Ford.
Honda CR-V; doesn't have the towing, but can be flat-towed. Pluses, 4WD: Minuses, towing, didn't really like it.
Hyundai Tucson 2WD or Santa Fe 2WD;' have towing and can be flat-towed with a stick. Pluses, warranty; Minuses, stick
And the Mazda Miata.  Pluses, fun to drive, performance, mileage, aftermarket; Minuses, towing.

No comments: