Thursday, June 10, 2010

Weather!

Actually had some exciting weather around here yesterday afternoon. I live in what's called the Puget Sound Convergence Zone, the area north of Seattle where the prevailing winds that come in off the Pacific and split around the Olympic Mountains tend to come back together. So we tend to have more dynamic weather than the rest of western Washington. But yesterday was really active.

We had a couple of thunderstorm systems come through that were worthy of living in the southwest desert or even the Great Plains. At one point when I was driving home from work the wipers were on high, I was driving <20 mph and could barely see the road in front of me. There were cars that had been driven too fast through deep water in intersections stalled out along the side of the road, or in the middle of those deep waters, there may have been some hail in the deluge, but I couldn't tell. I couldn't hear the radio over the pounding of water on the car. It was REALLY cool!

We might get some more of that today, we'll see.

Edited to add:

I talked with the City's Surface Water folks to see what the actual intensity was. I was told we got 0.84" of rain in 19 minutes (or 2.65"/hr). No wonder the storm drains couldn't keep up.

No comments: