Thursday, March 11, 2010

I miss the Automatic Human Jukebox

When I lived in the San Francisco area,  one of the buskers I really enjoyed was the Automatic Human Jukebox.  The guy,  whose name I later learned was Grimes Poznikov,  sat in a painted cardboard box all day on or near Fisherman's Wharf.  I regularly saw him in front of Ghirardeli Square.   Tourists (or locals) would put money through a slot in the side of the box labelled with the song they wanted to hear.   Then a door on the front of the box would swing up,  usually accompanied by a slide whistle,  and a bearded face would emerge and play the tune, almost always on a trumpet.  The guy was GOOD!  I would spend hours hanging out down there and preferred to be near him,  mainly for the entertainment; I even dropped a few dollars in the box myself.   He appeared on more than one national TV show.

Sadly,  he was another who was destroyed by mental illness and alcohol.  There's a photo and better article than I could write at http://short.to/1h0w2 

No comments: